Tuesday, April 28

RIP: Pontiac

Dear General Motors,
I understand that your company is going down. I understand that in today's economy, you've got to make some cutbacks. When the government declined to give you any stimulus money, you thought it was time to start looking for a way to cut costs, reduce overhead. America today isn't what it once was. I get all this.
But why did you feel the need to kill Pontiac?

I love the Pontiac line, the GTO, the Grand Prix, even the Trans Am, and of course, my baby, the Grand Am.

(Likeness only; not my actual car.)

She's the first car I bought. It was an August day in 2005. I was on my way to a friend's wedding in southern Ohio. I'd briefly considered purchasing a car of my own. So I went to the friendly Pontiac dealership. The next day, I drove off with a beautiful 2005 iridescent slate Grand Am. I named her Clytemnestra, after my favorite Greek heroine. She's the first piece of property I actually own. And not that I'd want to get rid of her, but you discontinued the Grand Am in 2005, so I couldn't get an upgrade or new replacement, should anything happen to Clytemnestra. Now the whole brand is gone.

I'm so verklempt.

Well, GM, I hope that this helps your business. I really do.

No comments: